Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Making baby food - post 1

I am a huge advocate for making fresh baby food, so I figured I would write some posts about how I do it, and some of my favorite combinations.

The tools I use are pretty basic. I don't boil or steam very often. I prefer to bake or roast my fruits and veggies. Anyways, you will need:

  • A steamer basket and roasting pan (for cooking)
  • A food processor (for pureeing)
  • A blender or grinder (to grind grains)
  • Storage containers
  • You can also use an all-in-one baby food maker, such as the Beaba Babycook or Baby Brezza. I have the Baby Brezza.


Apple-mango tango

1 ripe mango
1 medium apple
1 banana
1tbsp oatmeal cereal (if desired)

Steam apples until soft, about 15 minutes. Lightly steam mango.Add all fruits to food processor. Puree separately if you plan to use them in a bunch of different combos. Puree together if you want one big batch of this combo. Add in oatmeal to thicken and add heartiness.

Avo-nana-meal
*This is Braden's favorite.

1/2 ripe avocado
1/2 banana
1tbsp oatmeal cereal

Prepare oatmeal. Mash avocado and banana together until smooth. Mix with formula or breastmilk to achieve the smoothest consistency. Stir in oatmeal!

Easy-peasy rice cereal


1/4 cup ground brown rice
1-2 cups water (add as needed)

Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add rice and whisk. Continue to whisk constantly for a full 10 minutes, adding water to create a smooth consistency.

*I puree after it is cooked, to remove any lumps.

Squapato


1 butternut squash
1 sweet potato

Preheat oven to 400. Cut butternut squash in half, and place open-side down into roasting pan. Fill pan with an inch of water. Roast in oven for about an hour. Poke holes in sweet potato, place on pan, and place this in the oven as well. Bake it fr 45 minutes.

When both are cooked and soft, scrape from the skin with a spoon and place into a food processor. Process until smooth. Add breastmilk or formula as needed to achieve the desired consistency.


A few other combos we really like:

  • Apple & butternut squash
  • Pears & banana
  • Banana & mango
  • Sweet potato & pears

More to come as I think of them :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment